Kung Pao Chicken by Panda Express
Prep: 10 min, Marinate: 1:00, Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, use half
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. uncooked chicken breast, diced into 1/2 inch pieces, rinsed and drained (beef, shrimp or scallops can be substituted)
- 2-1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided use
- 12 whole dried hot chili peppers, (should be smaller than 3 inch; if longer, cut in half)
- 1 tsp. cooking wine
- 2-1/2 Tbs. Lee Kum Kee soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 tsp. water, mixed with cornstarch
- 1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup diced green onions, (dice only the white part of the onion into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground garlic
- 1 tsp. crushed red chili peppers
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 ounces dry roasted peanuts
1. Mix first 4 ingredients well, to make marinade. Add the chicken and thoroughly coat, refrigerate at least one hour.
2. Combine wine, soy sauce and water and set aside.
3. Heat a clean wok on high heat for 10 seconds. Add vegetable oil and heat well.
4. Add the marinated chicken to the wok. Stir quickly, separate the meat and cook for 60 seconds. Remove the chicken, drain well.
5. Add the chili peppers to the wok. Stir fry until they become a darker color. If the wok becomes too dry, add 1-1/2 tsp. vegetable oil.
6. Add the green onions, ginger, garlic and crushed red chili pepper to the wok. Stir for 5 seconds.
7. Return the cooked and drained chicken to the wok; stir soy sauce/wine mixture and add to wok; stir until sauce boils, then add cornstarch mix to thicken.
8. Add the sesame oil and peanuts. Stir and fold until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Per serving: calories 540, fat 30.2g, 49% calories from fat, cholesterol 143mg, protein 43.3g, carbohydrates 26.1g, fiber 3.6g, sugar 7.7g, sodium 769mg, diet points 13.1.
Dietary Exchanges: Milk: 0.0, Vegetable: 2.7, Fruit: 0.0, Bread: 0.6, Lean meat: 0.1, Fat: 3.8, Sugar: 0.0, Very lean meat protein: 4.5
view detailed nutritional information